|1900||Manual Training courses
are introduced in selected Victoria and Vancouver schools. Instructors and equipment for demonstration courses
are provided by the Montreal philanthropist, Sir
The Provincial Normal School for teacher training is established in Vancouver.
A separate office for school inspectors, called the Schools Inspectorate Branch is established within the Education Department.
Harry Dunnell is appointed provincial Inspector of Manual Training.
At the instigation of school trustee Margaret Jenkins, a Domestic Science Centre is opened at Girls' Central School in Victoria. Equipment for the Centre is supplied by the Victoria Local Council of Women and the local chapter of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Similar courses are inaugurated in Vancouver in 1905. Soon after, Home Economics is added to the provincial public school curriculum.
Victoria College opens as an extension of Victoria High School. From 1903 to 1915 the college was affiliated with McGill University in Montreal. Victoria College offered first and second year McGill courses in the Arts and Sciences.
|1904||S. D. Pope, former Superintendent of Education, opens
Queen's Academy, a private school for girls, in Victoria. Queen's Academy students include the daughters of provincial premier Richard (afterwards Sir Richard) McBride.
British Columbia School Trustees Association is instituted.
|1906||The first steps are made towards the medical inspection of schools when the Vancouver School Board appoints a professional inspector. The Board, "convinced that neither parent nor teacher is able to distinguish diseases of childhood in the early stages," appoints its first full-time professional "inspector of school children" in December 1906. Victoria appoints its medical inspector in 1907 and province-wide "medical inspections" of schools commence in 1910.|
|1907||St. George's School, an independent school for girls, opens in Victoria. The school was founded by an Englishwoman, Mrs. Hannah W. Suttie. The school began in a small house on Yates Street, relocated to a larger house on Johnson & Vancouver Streets, and in 1909 took over the Robert Ward mansion on Rockland Avenue in Victoria. When the school closed in June 1928, many of the students transferred to Victoria's other private schools for girls - St. Margaret's School (1908) and Norfolk House (1913).|
|1908||Enactment of the
British Columbia University Act.
The Free Text-book Branch is established. The name was changed to Text-book Branch in 1932.